blob: da9c7d6f98ab8434284f26aa9b0b7b009cba24f9 (plain
= Honeycomb persistence/reconciliation mechanism
Overview of Honeycomb's reconciliation and persistence mechanism.
Honeycomb needs to support persistence in order to:
* be able to restore its config data tree into "before restart state"
* be able to forward all the persisted configuration into VPP
** data not present in VPP should be created
** data already present in VPP should be ignored
** data already present in VPP, but persisted with different values
should be updated in VPP
** data present in VPP, but not present in persisted should be
== Involved components/concepts
Short description for components and concepts used in the proposal.
* Context - Context is a non-config storage for metadata related to Yang
-> VPP translation. It is hidden from the user, but is necessary for
non-trivial translations. This is plugin/model specific component.
Example would be: interface name from v3po model to interface index in
* Initializer - Component responsible for reading initial state of VPP
(right after Honeycomb connects to it) and transforming + storing the
data in Honeycomb's config data tree. This synchronizes Honeycomb's data
tree with whatever is already configured on VPP. Initializers are
developed as part of Honeycomb's plugins (if required).
* Soft write - Write that only goes to the config data tree but is not
propagated to the translation layer and VPP itself. Useful for writes
* Hard write - Write that is propagated to VPP and only if VPP
configuration succeeds, is applied committed to config data tree.
== Persistence process
1. On each successful commit, persist:
1. Entire config data tree
2. Entire cotnext data tree
== Restoration process
1. Restore contexts
2. For each initializer initialize:
1. Dump whatever data are necessary from VPP
2. Transform the data
1. If context is required use it to transform non-derivable data
3. Soft write into config data tree
3. Restore persisted data
4. Hard write into config data tree (put or merge, depending on whether
unpersisted data should be deleted or not from VPP, since put would
remove everything that was not persisted by Honeycomb)
== Persisted file format
Persisted configuration is stored in JSON format only currently. It is stored
as a dump of entire configuration + context data trees.
== Honeycomb restarts
Honeycomb is capable of handling following situations:
=== Honeycomb is restarted
Honeycomb connects to VPP and restores its config data tree from
persisted data + current configuration in VPP. No updates should be
triggered on VPP unless there were changes in VPP's configuration during
=== VPP is restarted
Honeycomb detects VPP's restart, then it reconnects to VPP and performs
restoration process from step 2. Persisted configuration should be
reapplied to VPP.
=== Both VPP and Honeycomb are restarted
Identical to Honeycomb restart only.